Saturday, January 26, 2008

Steps to Writing a Successful Composition

Steps to Writing a Successful Composition

Writing is a process. If you know the steps, it is easy to write a decent composition. With practice, the quality of the writing will also improve. If you can, choose a writing partner who is qualified to offer suggestions and proof read for you. A student who excels in English classes, a teacher, or a professional who uses writing at work are good choices.

First, organize your thoughts. Choose 3-4 main points to discuss in your composition. If you can’t write a paragraph about the point, then choose another one. Outline the information that you will be covering for each point.

Then, write your opening paragraph. This should be made up of a main idea sentence that covers your topic. Write a sentence for each main point that you will be covering in the order that they will be covered. Then write an ending sentence that restates your main idea or leads into the next paragraph. In education, we call this the hamburger method. The main idea is the top bun and the concluding paragraph is the bottom bun. The major points, or meat of the paper, are sandwiched between the two buns!

Your second paragraph will be about your first major point. The third paragraph will be about the second major point. The last paragraph will be about the third major point. The concluding paragraph is the one that most often is not clearly written. It should summarize the main points and restate your main idea.

A sample composition is below:

My favorite time of the year is summer. One reason for this is the vacation that we take each summer. I also enjoy going to the nearby beach. The best thing, though, is that I do not work during that time since I am a teacher. In my opinion, it is the best season!
Each year, my family goes on a nice vacation. We try to visit a different place each year. We attempt to find interesting places and events. Sometimes, we visit family or friends that we do not normally have a chance to visit. Vacations make summer time really special.
The beach is one of my favorite places. Since we live near the ocean, it is easy to spend the day at the beach. Friends and family members frequently go with me. We bask in the sun, build sandcastles, take long walks on the beach, and play in the water. I am able to take advantage of the beach during the summer.
Best of all, I do not work during the summer because I am a teacher. I catch up on all the things that I do not have time to do during the year. It is an opportunity to spend more time with my children and my parents. Each year, I try to complete a special project during the summer.
Because of the opportunities listed above, I consider summer to be the best season. The vacations, visits to the beach, and time off during the summer make each one special. I look forward to that time of year and try to take advantage of every minute! What is your favorite season?

Notice that I closely follow the major points that I state in my opening paragraph. You should stay focused on your topic. Be sure that you do not include information that is not part of your topic. It is easy to become sidetracked and include extraneous information. For example, if I started writing about my children in the second paragraph, it would detract from my overall topic. If you follow the steps, you will be a successful writer. Remember that the more you practice, the more your writing will improve!

Check out the following link for education books related to writing:
http://www.astore.amazon.com/scberrysblog-20

1 comment:

Bobbie said...

Thanks for the visualization of the hamburger. I needed use it to show my daughter how to write a composition. She understands better now. Thanks again.