Tuesday, January 8, 2008

No Child Left Behind--Are you kidding?

Before I move to the heavy stuff, I wanted to let you know what I thought about the movie, P.S. I Love You. It was the quintessential chick flick (but my husband and son liked it, too). It had all the elements that make you laugh, cry, and feel good. It was packed with relationships (friends, husband, mother, sister), travel (Ireland was BEAUTIFUL and I didn't see one terrorist!), city life, and music. It was well worth the time and money to attend. I haven't read the book, but went with two friends who had. They said that the movie was very different from the book and that the book was better. If that is the case, then I highly recommend that you read the book! I plan to get a copy myself!
Here are some sites to where you can get fabulous movie downloads as well as access to televsion shows, music videos, and more:
http://scberry.udc01.hop.clickbank.net/
http://scberry.movies01.hop.clickbank.net/
http://scberry.pspblend.hop.clickbank.net/



Now onto No Child Left Behind. I am an educator and when I first heard the proposal for No Child Left Behind I admit to being astonished. However, it seemed so ludicrous that neither myself or my fellow educators were really worried. We would say things like, "It will never last," and refuse to worry. Well, it has lasted and it has made huge negative impacts on many school districts.
Now all of the impacts haven't been bad. I admit that it has forced the educational community to take a harder look at certain populations such as special education students, our English as a Second Language students, and even our gifted students.
The premise behind No Child Left Behind is that ALL students can be proficient or advanced. That sounds great, but let's face reality. A student struggling to understand English is not going to score proficient or advanced (especially when data shows that it takes at LEAST 5 years to show language proficiency). A student with a low IQ is not going to score proficient or advanced. It is just not going to happen!
No Child Left Behind is punative. There are lots of unfunded mandates. Supposedly the state and federal government are giving money to struggling schools, but it is so burdened with red tape that you feel like you're swimming upstream if you accept those funds. I know because I work in just such a school district. We are virtually set up to fail. The great state of South Carolina has the hardest assessment which makes showing progress even more difficult. People that come to work here from neighboring states like North Carolina or Georgia are appalled at the test and the consequences. Is it any wonder that South Carolina is experiencing a severe teacher and administrator shortage while many other states have more teachers/administrators than there are jobs?
I am hoping that it is on the way out. I was heartened to hear a presidential candidate say that it needed to go! I am in full agreement. Until there is a national test that is adopted by each state and there are adjustments made for our special ed and ESL students, it needs to go.
Let's not forget, either, that education is supposed to be under the control of STATE government. In my opinion, the Federal government should have NEVER became involved. In fact, the only way that they can become involved is by offering funding that poor states and/or districts need. And of course, these are the districts that don't perform well. If it sounds like a vicious cycle, I can assure you it is!
This legislation is BIG BUSINESS. There are many industries and companies that have made a fortune claiming that they can help improve student achievement, close the gap, etc. As an administrator in a school district, I received an inhuman amount of flyers, emails, and phone cards about this very thing. I will say this: If there was a "quick fix" for these districts, it would have been discovered by now. Being labeled as Unsatisfactory or Failing because you work in high poverty district with a high number of ESL students doesn't help the school ANY. In South Carolina, the state actually took over one of these districts so that they could fix it. ALL of the personnel and resources that were
If you feel like I do, check out the website below and sign their petition to repeal No Child Left Behind! The time has come to act on this issue!
http://nochildleft.com/

2 comments:

Bobbie said...

Hello,

I am a mother of 6 children. 5 are mine one is step. I have 2 children in public school and 2 I homeschool. I live in Ohio and I think the No child left behind is a joke. My step son is in 7th grade. They just push him and push him through. His reading level is at 2nd grade. I work with him on a one to one basis when I can when he is over here. which is why he is up to a 2nd grade level. But, his report cards just look like f, f, f, d, f. They have for the past 5 years that I have known him. But, yet, they pass him through to the next level. He is actually a really smart kid. He just isn't applying himself I feel. But, still, the school system focuses more on taking the state standards tests and passing those than actual learning time. I am very involved in my girls' school. I know what is going on and what everything is about. More than I ever wanted to know but, am thankful that I am an informed parent because I feel that is the only way that you can help your child is to be involved and informed. But, yes, the no child left behind is the biggest joke.

SCBerry62 said...

It is difficult to be a parent with that many children in school. As an educator, I am better equipped to help my two (who are in 11th and 12th grades now). I kept them in public school until 6th grade, but I carefully selected their teachers each year (a priviledge given to teachers who work there). Then I sent them to a local private school. It is more traditional than I am used to, but it doesn't have No Child Left Behind restrictions. My children are doing well (my son is graduating number 3 in his class this year) and is receiving the state college grant becuase of his class rank, SAT and GPA. However, I can not tell you the number of times that I or my husband (also a teacher) have had to help them make it through a class.
Homeschooling is one option, but it is an option that can be tough. Kids don't usually view their parents as teachers. Even my own would say things like, "That's not what the teacher said to do." Also, socialization is a problem. If you are homeschooling your kids, make sure that you have a local network that you can utilize so that the socialization aspect is there!